Birmingham Golf Course
Birmingham Golf Course
As one of the leading Birmingham golf hotels, the 4 star Abbey Hotel Golf & Spa in Redditch, South Birmingham, offers visitors an impressive par 72 18 hole championship golf course.
The Abbey Golf Course
Built in the early 1980s the Abbey Golf Course, South Birmingham has now matured into a fine championship standard parkland course measuring over 6,800 yards from the black tees.
18 Hole Golf Course
- Medal tees 6732 yards Par 72 SSS73
- Mens tees 6436 yards Par 72 SSS71
- Ladies tees 5621 yards Par 72 SSS72
Designed by Donald Steel, one of Britain’s leading golf course architects, this South Birmingham golf course has been extensively upgraded and lengthened in recent years. Home to the Best Western Senior Masters final in 2006 and the Abbey PGA ProAm in 2011 and 2012, the course now regularly hosts county matches and high profile corporate days.
The layout includes mature trees, lakes and on the whole the fairways are wide with the rough not too punishing, the picturesque 6th is a 200 yard drive from the medal tee with the green surrounded on three sides by the river arrow. The 12th is a challenging uphill par 4 drive between two mature oak trees at 250 yards with the green concealed out of sight at the top of the hill.
For further information on our golf course view our hole-by-hole description, complete with our Golf Pro’s tip for mastering each hole. View here
Further Golf Facilities
- The Abbey Hotel, South Birmingham is pleased to announce the construction of a new golf driving range. This impressive driving range, now open, features a brand new, state of art 2 storey floodlit golf range with 28 bays and automated ball dispensers. Plus there are heating teaching bays and a custom fit centre using Trackman technology.
- Fully stocked Pro shop offers top brand stock items, great sale offers, club repairs, club hire, custom fit, regular demo events and much more. Buggies and trolleys are available to reserve for your round of golf. Simply telephone the golf shop 01527 406 500 to reserve these items
- Golf club hire
- To help perfect your putting skills, a putting green is available at The Abbey Hotel
Note when using Golf GPS systems – Some still displaying ‘old course’ lay out
Now many golfers are using GPS systems to help with yardages we feel it necessary to inform you about problems you may experience with some devices. Although the golf course was re-configured in 2011 there are still devices which will navigate the old layout.
Skycaddie have re-mapped the course so you will have no problem with this device.
We are still awaiting Garmin (despite several requests!) to re-map. Also any devices or mobile apps which use Google Earth will be 3 years out of date. If you use these GPS systems, the key changes to the course were new 2nd & 15th holes – these holes will obviously not register and display the ‘old holes’ . The other 16 holes will still work although in a slightly different order:
- Hole 1 – as normal
- Hole 2 – will display the old 2nd hole – a dog leg par 4, now a par 3
- Hole 3 – will display the old 3rd hole – a short par 3 no longer in play
- When you get to the 3rd tee simply forward your device to the 4th hole & so forth until you reach the current 15th hole (which will not be available)
- The 16th,17th and 18th holes will be as normal
We will endeavour to contact any other systems that have yet to re-map.
We have yardages on our score card as well as on course yardage markers:
- Red disks in centre of fairway – 100 yards
- Yellow disks in centre of fairway – 150 yards. Also posts at side of fairways
- White disks in centre of fairway – 200 yards
ALL TO CENTRE OF GREENS